Word Clarifications?

• Feedback

Hi Eric!

Sorry I have been out. We have had some family drama. But back to work!

So I decided to work smarter not harder. I went through each of the lesson word lists. I cross referenced ones that seems a little off to me. They are just suggestions. I think some of it is the Queen's English vs. the King's English. Some of it is the granularity of what an item is. I plan to go through each of the word sets. I will try to do one each week ( as long as you want me too, and you don't want to ring my neck. :~P)

Ok from the lessons:

• Ludo= Match, game ~ Match (game, as opposed to fire match) in the Wells dictionary (from here out will be marked with W) is matcxo

• esperanto = esperanto ~ Should be capitalized to differentiate from esperanto= one who hopes

• fosilo = spade, shovel ~ fosilo= spade (small); shovel (big) = sxovelilo not sxoilo

Not really a suggestion... But Why are there so many words for number in Esperanto!?!
    cifero; numero, numbro

I was trying to figure out how to clarify this with one word that distinguished them and kept them in context. I worry with all of them being either amount/number that the tendency to get wrong answers when going from English to Esperanto goes up considerably, without actually being wrong.

That's it. That is all I have for you.

I hope this finds you well.

• Feedback

Hi Liese, great to see you back! I hope everything is going well.

It's difficult to give the context of the word for homonyms. It was my aim for the wordset's name to give a hint. For example, if I'm studying sports then a "match" most likely wouldn't mean of the flammable kind. I can definitely see where that would cause some confusion.

I think I'll take some of the number translations out of the lesson wordset and just keep it to the most common usage of "number" until I can find a way to give additional context to each of the words.

I'll fix 'esperanto' to have a capital, thanks for that.

Don't worry too much about reporting homonyms. Once I have a solution for that it will be easy to go through the database to solve them all. It's wonderful of you to want to go through and correct the wordsets. Thank you.

Your assistance is always appreciated!

• Feedback

@EricDemers Aw, You are welcome. I just don't want you to feel nit picked. I think you have done an awesome job here and have put in a crazy amount of work. You should be proud.

I love languages and pride myself on my lexicon. I have found for myself that working down to the minutiae of a word is what gives us ultimate control. It separates us from the casual user and allows us to express ourselves in many contexts. Wow, now I sound classiest :~\ I'm not, I actually learned the majority of my lexicon from reading. I love my dictionaries. I actually mispronounce a ton of stuff because I have never actually heard most of it said out loud. The internet is my friend.

That being said I was just trying to come up with the purest definition I could for words, so you can pass on the purest use. I think the simplicity of the language can lead to a little ambiguity, in some cases, especially when trying to keep a one to one word definition. Design constrants force us into creative answers and make us really learn our material.

My thought process:

• Being that a game match has its own separate word and the most common definition of ludo is a game. In my head it seems that it should be simplified and separate. A fire match is alumeto, so no confusion can come from that.

That is one of the nice things about Esperanto, no weird "one word can mean five things in different contexts". That being said I will only report homonyms if I think there is a better word for one of the answers.

Thank you for letting me help. I love research and words. This is really helping me get a handle on vocabulary usage and the Esperanto language. I feel like I am in 1st grade again sitting cross legged with a book way too advanced for me in my lap, with the unabridged dictionary under my knee, and having to look up words from the definitions so I could understand the original definitions. 🤓

edit to the last message... I missed spelled shovel. Should be Shovel = sxovelilo. I'm dyslexic and have a hard time editing in the small message boxes. Sorry. (also could have been a cat... I have lots of feline help with two kittens in the house.)

• Feedback

@EricDemers Hey so I am getting the lists into a spread sheet so I only do the work once. I am a little confused. In the word lists, it has a number of words at the top, but it does not actually correspond with the number of words on that page. Am I missing something?

• Feedback

That's definitely an error. I'll make a task in my project manager to fix that. Thanks for letting me know!

• Feedback

I was able to fix the counts - they should now accurately reflect how many words are in the wordset. Thanks for reporting that!

• Feedback

You are very welcome! Glad you were able to fix it. It can so help to have fresh eyes on stuff. I know I "delete" things and get blind if I have been looking at stuff for a long time.

Now that I have all the words into my spread sheet and alphabetized, I am going through letter by letter and finding duplicates, discrepancies, and spelling issues.

Out of curiosity, I have noticed, as I am going through the words, that there are two entries or more entries from different lists, but they will have reversed means. ex:

apoteko~drugstore, pharmacy
    apoteko~pharmacy, drugstore.

Are these two separate entries in your data base? If they are then it could cause confusion on what answer, especially with brick smash, is expected. and cause the word to come up more then once in games, messing with the algorithm of word exposure.

Another phenomenon I have seen is: there sometimes are two entries on compound words, on one the -o is omitted in the first part and on the other you will have it in. I know this is an expected convention. I think having it one way or the other for any given word would be wise. I also think it is valuable to see different compounds using the other convention, that way people get greater exposure, but I think having both for the same entry will lead to the same sort of issue as the duel but reversed definitions. ex:

bazopilko~baseball
    bazpilko~baseball

All of this, and other insights will be be in my finalized reviews, which I will submit grouped by letter. Or I can just email you my spread sheets. Then you can decide what is relevant and what is not. Not sure if you would prefer to take this sort of "under the hood stuff" offline so to speak or keep it public in the forum.

I have also noticed that the "progress bars" will show 50% done in a group even if you have touched any word in the word set. Not really sure what the expected behavior of the progress bars is supposed to be.

I appreciate you being so patient with me as I am running a fine tooth comb over stuff.

• Feedback

Hi Liese,

Thank you for this.

The stance that I would like to take with words is that "if it's correct, then nothing is wrong". For example, in the case of bazpilko and bazopilko, I should be able to give either of those answers when I'm prompted to translate "baseball". If I can't, then it is an issue in the game rather than the database's relationships. I think I need to change how the games decide whether a user's typed answer is correct. I'm making a note of this in my project manager. There should be no word duplication in the database, so 'baseball' refers to the same entity in that example.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your results with me offline, it would be much appreciated.

I'll look into the progress bar as well. I also noticed that it felt a little wonky.

• Feedback

@EricDemers Do you have an email you would prefer me to use or should I just PM you here?

• Feedback

You can use eric.demers@langful.com if you would like. Thank you.

• Feedback

@EricDemers You got it!👍